Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Past Blogging Mini-Adventure

I tried writing a blog before, a little more than a year ago; I didn't keep up with it though.  Written notes didn't transform into actual sentences on paper that I thought people may be interested in if they came across it!  However, here are the few segments that I wrote back in 2011, before I start my new blog.

June 4, 2011
My first two blogs were about finding extra things in life that you can do to make the world a better place.  In the past week, though, I haven't really done anything worth sharing.  My days pretty much consist of going to work, eating, sleeping, and watching my favorite shows: The Bachelorette, So You Think You can Dance, America's Got Talent, Bones, The Voice, etc.!  I also teach swim lessons and help to coach the swim team.  I'm a TV junkie, you could say- when I am out and about, or I start reading outside during the summer, I can't put the books down and I completely forget about the tv.  But all of my favorite shows are on all the time, I'm working on my computer with the tv on in the background, and it fills my day up with comedy!  Luckily, next weekend I'll be getting a break because it's the Relay for Life!  My mom got diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 years ago, so she has hit her 5yr mark of being a survivor.  My family: my dad, my brother, and I, started going to the RFL that summer.  A couple of my other family members showed up as well: aunts and cousins.  Now, it has become a yearly thing for all of us- all of my cousins and aunts, and uncles, come to the Relay for Life- we dance to the DJ's music, help raise money, and show support for my mom.
My Nana passed away a few years ago with a brain tumor; my Grampa 6 months later from a broken heart, but also from lung cancer.  My uncle died because his cancer was found too late; by the time they figured out he had cancer, he was already at stage 4.  Several other family members have passed away fighting it in the past few years.  It seems like whatever we do, we just can't avoid it.  All of the chemicals in the air, pollution, unnatural things in the food, and bad habits that we all develop: smoking, not exercising, eating processed foods, etc.  We're all just hoping for a healthier future, a cure, or to bring awareness.
For me personally, I think one thing that I may do this year at the Relay is put together a little list about things people can do to "help avoid" cancer.  Nothing we do will guarantee that it's prevented, but it could help, better than doing nothing!  So on Saturday, my family and I will gather at the track to help raise money for the American Cancer Society to recognize survivors and caregivers, and to walk in memory of those who lost their fight.
To those of you who don't attend these relays, please think about it!  Or at least donate :) 

May 21, 2011
I ordered a pizza tonight for dinner- mushrooms, spinach, and buffalo sauce.  When I took my first bite, I realized that onions, tomatoes, and red pizza sauce were also on my pizza- so, I brought it back to get it replaced.  When the cashier went to take the pizza from me, I asked what they were going to do with it- throw it away most likely?  Yes..  So, I asked if I could keep it.  Not for myself though- I brought it to the homeless shelter down the road.  A woman came to answer the door and I explained that the pizza place got my order wrong, so would they like it?  What use is a perfectly good pizza when it's just thrown in the garbage?  I've always asked restaurants if they could store their unused food and bring it to a shelter. Most are unwilling or unable, but it's always a good thing to put the idea in someone's head- at least then, maybe they'll bring it up to the manager. 

May 20, 2011
Winters in Maine are rough- when I was a kid, CMP workers were fixing a light outside of my house, and my mom and I made some hot cocoa for them.  A small act of kindness that I will always remember because of the way that the CMP workers responded to us when we brought it out, and they took a break and warmed up!
Just a smile can make somebody's day better, so try and remember to be the best person you can be.  I was driving down the highway last week and as I was passing a truck, the driver looked over at me and had a huge smile on his face as he waved- it made the rest of my day; whenever I thought about it, it made me smile all over again!
It's the acts of kindness that people will remember-- do I remember the horrible things that people do? Yes, but vaguely.  It's a woman at the post office that I remember, who, when I forgot my wallet, was willing to pay some money for me.  It happens that she is a religious woman, and gave me a small token to take with me as she passed over a couple of dollars.  It is a mini book that states Let Not Your Heart be Troubled.  Although I am not religious, this booklet is hanging by my door because it had been a long time that I had seen anyone perform an act of kindness- it reminds me of this everyday when I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment