Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Organizational Starters

I have a few pictures of the things I've done to my new home to make it more convenient.  There's not a lot of shelving in the house, so we've had to improvise to store our things.  Also, more pictures coming, my camera's flash creates blurry images!

 These two pictures aren't really "Before and Afters" because it doesn't show all of the books on the ground!  I just switched the two locations so that the board games could be in the "playroom" instead of the dining room.  So the books went on the built-in shelves, and board games on the bookshelf!

Every room in this house has wallpaper in it.  I love the dining room and the playroom, hate the rest (no offense to the people living here before us, we love you guys!).  So I wanted to see how hard it was to take up wallpaper so we can start painting, and I'll feel more comfortable/at home, in my own home.  The hallway was too easy!  I guess it wasn't glued down.. so I took it ALL off!  Now we have another 4 months to wait until we can paint.. whoops!
 The laundry room had no shelving.. #1 priority in my book for this house, and that's what we did!  Laundry detergent now has a place to be!
 There are no windows in the kitchen like I'm used to.. so instead of a window, I put a picture frame above the sink so it's a friendlier area.. Maybe have shelves coming in to this spot instead later in the year, for more storage space, but we'll see.  For convenience with washcloths and drying rags, I hung our old key ring (which we exchanged for a newer one with a shelf, for hand sanitizer) right above the sink.
 Part 1 of the "Entry way" organization... fail!  First there was a bench seat to put the stuff in.. it didn't get used.  Next, a tub, which I guess doesn't get used either (it's supposed to be for Jason's work stuff when he gets home so he can just take his work gloves, hats, etc off).. So, we bought a coat rack!  Step 2.. instead of a tub which has drawers that need to be opened to put stuff in it, I'm going to bring down my baskets from upstairs.  That way he can just throw his hats and gloves in the baskets!
Lastly, the walls in the playroom have very colorful wallpaper, but didn't feel like home.  I don't have a good before picture for this room, but as you can see, we exchanged the bureau for the bookshelf with games.  We also hung some pictures to make the room more comfortable, it's so much better, I feel like it's ours now!

Stay tuned for the better pictures of other updates we have done to our home, and what we plan to do in the next year still!

Please comment below for any organizational tips you may have in an older home with no bookcases, shelves, little wall space (lots of windows!) and little cupboard space in the kitchen!
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment